Last Tuesday, five students majoring in literature - Judy, Lisa, Mary, Mike, and Phil - each received a notice from the university library for an overdue book (one book was by James Joyce). Can you determine each student's full name and the author of his or her overdue book?
1. After receiving the notices, three of the students returned their books on Wednesday: Mary, Ms. Snell, and the one who had the Ernest Hemingway novel.
2. Wicks and Jones (one of whom had the D.H. Lawrence novel) returned their books the same day.
3. Judy (who isn't Ames) isn't the one who had the William Faulkner novel.
4. Neither Mike (who didn't have the Faulkner novel) nor Wicks had ever been overdue at the library before.
5. Both Barr and the young woman who had the Joseph Conrad novel returned their books on Thursday.
I'm posting one puzzle, riddle, math, or statistical problem a day. Try to answer each one and post your answers in the comments section. I'll post the answer the next day. Even if you have the same answer as someone else, feel free to put up your answer, too!
Friday, December 11, 2009
Are You Willing to Pay the Fine
Labels: logic puzzle
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Mary Wicks (D.H. Lawrence)ReplyDelete
Judy Snell (James Joyce)
Mike Jones (Earnest Hemingway)
Phil Barr (William Faulkner)
Lisa Ames (Joseph Conrad)
I got the same breakdown, Jay beat me by a few hours, though.ReplyDelete
I agree, assuming that Mike and Wicks were so embarased to be late that they were among the guys who brought back the books on the Wednesday!ReplyDelete
Looks like we all agree.ReplyDelete
oh yay! i'm sick at home so I have been using my time "wisely"ReplyDelete